You’ve created so many things you’re proud of and you want to start making money from the work you do. But, besides getting a job at a company, are there any other options for generating income from your designs? Here’s how to sell your designs online!
Where can you sell what you create online?
There are several different sites you can use to sell your designs online. The best ones for you to use can depend on what you want to sell! Whether you want to sell the images you’ve created as a graphic designer, photographs, goods you’ve made, or your services and skills, there’s a place for you. But how do you decide which site will best help you sell your stuff? Here’s what to know about selling on some of the top websites for creatives.
- For photographers. If you’re a photographer looking to make extra money for your work, selling your photos through trusted online sites can be a great option. These sites include
- Stock photo sites. Stock photo sites sell thousands of images a day to users looking for images for their websites, social media posts and ads, and more. There’s a lot of potential for your work to be seen by a wide variety of people, getting your name out there. Stock sites sell your photos for you, meaning you can upload your image and wait for sales to come in. However, it’s important to remember that there are millions of stock photos and sites are often updated daily, meaning your work really needs to stand out to potential buyers. Additionally, almost all sites charge a commission on your work, so you won’t receive the full price after a sale. Some popular stock sites include Getty, iStock Photo, and Shuttershock. Each site has its pros and cons, so make sure to check out its policies and procedures before selling to them.
- Art sites. Your photographs are art so you can also sell them as prints or digital downloads on sites like Etsy or Redbubble. One benefit of using sites like these is that you’re often in control of the sale! A downside is that they do charge small fees for selling on the site.
- For graphic designers. Graphic designers can make a profit on the side by selling their designs online. Whether it’s designing original fonts, images created for social media or websites, or photos, designers can sell what they create on sites such as Creative Market and MyFonts. You can also sell your designs to become fun and creative t-shirts on sites like Threadless and Spring.
- For jewelry designers. For jewelry designers looking to sell their work, Etsy is the place to go! Today, many people use the site regularly, so selling your jewelry online is easier than ever. Starting an Etsy shop can be easy and convenient, but there are fees associated with posting and selling items so make sure you’re aware of all of their policies before setting up shop.
- For freelancers. Freelancing is more popular than ever so there are many sites you can explore to sell your skills and talent! Whether you’re a graphic designer, web developer, or photographer, you can find opportunities for freelance work through sites like Fiverr, Upwork, and Behance. To get started, you’ll have to set up a profile on the site and follow their guidelines to start looking for work. The benefit of these sites is that interested clients can contact you for work. The downside can often be long waits for payment and high commission or service fees, so it’s important to read up on each one before signing up.
How to market your designs and skills
If you’re selling your work online for the first time, understanding how to market your work and your skills can be essential to being successful. Your best bet to stand out from others doing the same thing you are is to make sure you have a strong online presence. That can mean setting up social media accounts separate from your personal accounts, creating an online portfolio and website, and making sure your profiles on the sites you use to sell your work clearly demonstrate what you’re capable of.
When setting up your social media accounts, you want to make sure they’re professional but eye-catching. If you’re a graphic designer, show off the work you’ve done by sharing your images and accolades. For jewelry designers, you’ll want to make sure to take great product photos to share across Facebook and Instagram.
For freelancers who use a website to market their services, you’ll want to make sure you have a digital portfolio or website you can share with potential clients, and you’ll want to make sure your profile on those sites is complete and shows off your skills. Make sure to list what you can do and don’t be afraid to brag just a little!
Learn marketable skills and add credibility to your business with NYIAD
Whatever you’re looking to sell online – your skills or your work – having a certificate or diploma listed in your profile can add credibility that can help you stand out to potential clients. Whether you’re a graphic designer, make jewelry, or want to freelance in user experience design or web development, NYIAD has a course that can help you build your marketable skills on your schedule. To learn more about our programs or get started today, reach out to our admission department at 1-800-583-1742!